The total sum available to the Czech Republic at the current prices of emission allowances is a minimum of 12,9 billion EUR. This sum is 15.6% of the total resources in the Modernisation Fund. Financial measures from the Modernisation Fund will proceed through 9 different programmes:
- HEAT – Modernisation of heating systems
- RES+ New Renewable Energy Sources
- ENERG ETS – Improving energy efficiency and reducing greenhouse gas emissions in industry in EU ETS
- ENERG – Improving energy efficiency in business
- TRANSCom – The modernisation of transport in the business sector
- TRANSGov – The modernisation of public transport
- ENERGov – Energy efficiency in public buildings and infrastructure
- KOMUENERG – Community energy
- LIGHTPUB – Modernisation of public lighting systems
General: allocation, definition, transposition
Specific allocation for energy communities
The programme KOMUENERG mentions energy communities as separate targets (1.5 % of the total allocation). Energy communities can also participate in HEAT and RES+.
Definition of energy communities in line with EU legislation
The definition of energy communities is respected. "In the case of renewable energy communities the requirement to hold a license is relevant only if such obligation arises from the legislation currently in force. Community projects must also meet
the conditions and requirements arising from Directive (EU) 2018/2001 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11 December 2018 on the promotion of the use of energy from renewable sources, namely the requirements under Art. 22"
Proportionality of share of total fund allocated to energy communities
Only 1.5 % of the Modernisation Fund is dedicated to energy communities even though municipalities can apply in other subprogrammes.
Availability of tailored financing tools
There are no different financing tools available that fit different situations. Grants mainly and some guarantees.
Link to a wider scope of activities and objectives
Link between energy communities, building renovation and energy efficiency
There is a link with building renovation.
"Together with the support provided for the installation of photovoltaic power plants, the following can be further supported:
- Battery storage systems of electricity produced.
- Forced investments in the renovation of roof structures on which PVPP will be installed and in the modernization of electrical installations in buildings with newly installed PVPP.
- Implementation of energy management including control software and measuring and control elements to optimize energy production and consumption, project preparation and professional technical and author supervision and OSH."
Recognition of energy communities under multiple objectives
Energy communities are not yet recognised under multiple objectives. Maybe at some point this will happen because the programme is still not finished. Community Energy Union is pushing for including these objectives there especially energy poverty.
Transparency and inclusiveness
Holistic strategy to provide financing across different levels of project development
No holistic approach (at least not yet).
Transparency of the design and communication of the schemes and measures
Community Energy Union was included in the calls for municipalities but that's it. Maybe later on they will be included in the consultations.
Selection criteria and the prioritisation of various social components
The clear social component in the HOUSEENERG programme which is focused on households/apartment buildings and supports also small scale renovations for elderly, disabled people etc.
Decentralised tender process
There is a centralized process to create tenders.
Existence of procedures to facilitate the participation of energy communities in open calls
There are no procedures to facilitate the participation of energy communities in open calls. The Modernisation Fund does not support soft measures such as capacity building, workshops etc.
Stability and predictability of the programme through time
Calls for municipalities can be assessed as predictable and stable.